Saturday 29 May 2010

OUGD203 - Evaluation.

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I think this module has been a massive help. Learning about product ranges and distribution methods will be very useful in future projects. Mainly because i hadn't thought it was our role as designers to think that fare ahead. Looking into different technologies available to you has been really interesting and will be helpful since thats the direction that design is currently heading. Print will always be available however with such a high demand for quick accessible information it seems like this is the future. I have also been aloud to produce a large range of design idea's and development in the module compared to previous ones. This is mainly down to the brief i chose that had the information/ research already available. Normally i find myself doing research too much and not having enough time to design. However my only regret is not spending enough time developing data graphics even though i had looked at a lot of designers and made a lot of notes/ ideas.

The Collaborative brief was very useful also. I gained a few new approach's to idea generation and development. Some i might add to my own design practice. My software skills with In-design have also improved. Much quicker at using the software now and using keyboard shortcuts. I also discovered threw Tim Wan that i was doing some certain things in a very strange way. Hopefully now i wont be doing it so much.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

This is basically the first project i have ever done that involved no primary research. The whole project has been about secondary: The Raytheon Annual Report 09. A lot of reading was involved with this report to determine if i could do the whole report or parts of it. Also selecting parts of it that might be useful or not. Design Context research has also been very useful in the development of my idea's and final publication.

The collaboration brief involved a hell of a lot of primary research. It was the first time i had gone outside Leeds and into a different country to gather research. A lot more one to one with people and having in-depth chats. Something i hope to do in future briefs.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The quality of my work that i am producing now is much better than the first year and also that I'm starting to design the type of style that i have been aiming for without compromising the brief or product. For ages i have wonted to produce minimal styled design that have influences from switzerland and Berlin. Now i believe that i have take great strides towards this. I also believe that my idea generation has been good for both briefs. A lot more quantity and quality with a lot of thought behind it. Designing publications has been very enjoyable. In the first year i made a lot of mistake's and didn't complete "What is a book" brief. This year i have already done two publications that work very well and are very effective pieces of deign. The type and layout for each i believe it spot on however there's always room for improvement.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

Overall this year has been shocking for me with problems personally and back home. My management of time, judgement and overall work ethic has been below par. Im very much aware of the problems and its something that i've been trying to improve each week. The collaboration module was great and my work production was good, however with this last brief it has not been the best. The steps i have taken to improve this have been to have my own place next year, pending if i'm still on the course and to admit to myself that i do need help. Something that i will admit on friday the 4th of June.

I've also not been happy by the fact that i have not experimented enough with process's and used the facilities enough around the college. I hope to this summer get the opportunity to do a few things and learn them as fast and effectively as possible.

The design boards that i created were visually good but had fare too many mistakes. Grammar mistakes that i noticed were about seven to eight. I also left a random orange box in the corner of one of my design boards and i feel that there is not enough text explaining what my product is. I could of resolved this by speaking to a member of staff or a friend but as usual left it till last minute.

Finally, my blogging has been poor yet again. Not all my design sheets have been blogged and annotation of each blog has been minimal. Since this is the main source of marking i don't expect to get a decent grade nor do i deserve to. Next time i need to blog everyday and every time i do something. Possibly leaving the writing part till last or making some rough notes.


5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  • Spent more time developing data graphics that were more interesting and innovative.
  • To be more direct with my decision making. Wasted the first two weeks worrying what to do. Should decide what i'm doing and just do it.
  • Try challenging the grid system and break some rules. Be a little more adventurous.
  • Get more advise from Graham and other members of staff about my work. possibly speaking to some outside creatives.
  • I felt that i spent fare too much time at home, especially in the final week. Should be managing my time more effectively. Something I'm 100% sure will improve next year.


6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

Attendance 3
Punctuality 4
Motivation 3
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 3
Quality of work produced 4
Contribution to the group 4

No comments:

Post a Comment